The Laboratory of Experimental Animals of the PUMS Core Facility is located on the 3rd floor of the Medical Biology Center building. The unit is subject to the Faculty of Pharmacy at Poznan University of Medical Sciences and is registered under number 0035 at the Ministry of Science and Higher Education. The unit also has the status of an individual breeder under the number 040. Animal species that can be tested in the animal house are brown rat (Rattus norvegicus) and house mouse (Mus musculus). The Laboratory of Experimental Animals has the CV-I status, which allows the maintenance of the conventional animals in partial isolation, but also due to high conditions standards, there is a possibility to study SPF (Specific Pathogen-Free) animals.
The laboratory includes: two quarantine rooms, four housing rooms (two for conventional animals and two for SPF animals), a room adapted to behavioral tests, three treatment and experimental rooms, a preparation room, a washing room, a sterilization room with a steam autoclave, five storage facilities and offices. The animal welfare related to their existence in the appropriate climate condition is ensured by a central system, equipped with individual temperature and humidity sensors.
Animal facilities equipment includes:
- micro-isolator cages (Uno)
- individually ventilated cages
- rat cages
- phantom cage exchange station (Allentown)
- steam autoclave (SMS: AS 666 WPA)
- autoclave (H + P Labortechnik: Varioklav 500E)
- inhalation anesthesia system (Minerve)
- CO2 euthanasia system (Minerve)
- automated treatment tables (TD-Trans)
- daily urine collection metabolic rack (Tecniplast: 3M12B940)
- electronic animal marking system (UNo Micro ID / 8 ISO Transponder)
- mobile system for disinfecting devices and functions with H2O2 (Oxypharm: Nocospray 2)
- laminar airflow chamber (Faster: Safe Fast Classic)
- cold room
- CO2 incubator (Panasonic: MCO-170AICD-PE)
- inverted light microscope (Zeiss: Primo Vert)
- centrifuge (Eppendorf: 5702)
- operating lamps (Welch Allyn: GS600)
Requirements for scientific research at the Laboratory of Experimental Animals are as follows:
- consent to conduct research issued by the Local Ethics Committee in Poznan (http://jay.up.poznan.pl/kfibz/LKE/)
- documents confirming the personnel qualifications for working with animals
- submitting the Application form for the tests to be carried out at the Poznan University of Medical Sciences Core Facility
Note: when submitting applications to the Local Ethics Committee in Poznan and the Rector’s Plenipotentiary for issuing permits for animal experiments (Prof. Ewa Florek), full name of the units should be used (Laboratory of Experimental Animals of the Poznan University of Medical Sciences Core Facility), indicating as a user the Faculty of Pharmacy of the Poznan University of Medical Sciences.
The person supervising people who care for animals and their welfare is prof. Krzysztof Kus, Ph.D., D.Sc. People interested in conducting research at the Laboratory of Experimental Animals are requested to contact prof. K. Kus to confirm the possibility of performing experiments.
Regulations of the Laboratory of Experimental Animals and instructions for work in front of and behind the barrier zone are available in the DOCUMENTS tab. Other workplace instructions can be received from the unit’s personnel.